Sunday, January 19, 2014

Five Things I Wish I Would Have Known When I Started Out Writing

Actually, make that publishing. I never had much problem with the writing, but I recently joined a group filled with self-publishing authors, and I learned I have been doing it all wrong. So, here are five things I wish I'd known to start with.

1. Great cover art is important! : Okay, so technically I already knew that, I just didn't really "get" it. I've wasted many years of sales by not having better looking covers on my books to grab readers' attention. I am in the process of learning PS, and I will be updating most of my covers. I hope it will generate some new interest in those titles!

2. Put your contact info in the front and back matter. : I had one of those DUH! moments when I had this epiphany. I really don't know why I didn't know I should do that. It makes perfect sense. I have had this blog and my webs.com website pretty much from the beginning. I bet I'd have hundreds more visitors if I'd been including this information in all of my books.

3. Stick to a theme!: So my books as Savannah fall into a myriad of categories and themes: BDSM, erotic horror, romance, paranormal, etc. It seems I have been shooting myself in the foot for not sticking to a THEME. I have plans to correct that soon. Now don't fear! I won't be cutting Savannah out of existence. I have a backlist of shorts that I will continue to publish under that name, and when I get the urge to write a really naughty story, I will publish under the Savannah name as well. However, I do plan to bring my focus into paranormal romance, and I will be creating a new pen name for that. I will make an announcement about that when I am ready.

4. Have a mailing list!: I am so far behind the times on this! Oh how I wish I knew about these things when I first started writing. I just recently signed up to get a mailing list going for this name. So please, if you want to keep up with new releases, contests, news, please sign up for the newsletter using the box on the sidebar. Newsletter subscribers will be the first to know about everything! Plus, I will occasionally send out freebies with the newsletter that won't be available anywhere else.

5. Publish, Publish, Publish!: So of course I've been publishing off and on over the past few years, but my every day life has always seemed to get in the way of establishing an actual writing/publishing schedule. Between a full time job, family, etc. it's been a struggle. My goal for 2014 is to release at least two new works every month, either as Savannah or under my new pen name. So keep an eye out, 2014 is going to be a great year!

No comments: